Alfred Habib Sioufi Filho
|Office: ||São Paulo.|
Main Practice Areas
Arbitration and Mediation, Banking and Finance, Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions.
Alfred Sioufi has experience in local and international commercial arbitration with parties of different nationalities, in English, French, Portuguese and Spanish and on matters involving infrastructure, construction, contracts, corporate, regulation, telecommunications, energy and investment, subject to different rules of law and under different rules of arbitration, such as International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) of the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL), of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), the International Center for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), the Brazil-Canada Chamber of Commerce(CCBC), the American Chamber of Commerce (AMCHAM), and the Center for Mediation and Arbitration of the Federation of Industries of São Paulo(FIESP).
Alfred also advised clients in joint venture, private equity and venture capital transactions, mergers and acquisitions and corporate restructuring. Alfred has assisted companies in capital market transactions such as companies going public and developed corporate governance programs.
Alfred joined the international arbitration groups of the Paris office of Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer and White & Case in 2007.
Alfred coached the team that represented the University of São Paulo law School (USP) in the 16th Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot (international competition between universities in the form of a mock arbitration in Vienna - 2009). His was the first Latin American team to reach the quarter-finals and be awarded the Frédéric Eisemann Award.
Alfred frequently gives lectures in postgraduate courses regarding International Law, Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution in General.
Chambers of Commerce and Associations
- Mediation and Arbitration Institutions National Council;
- International Law Association Brazil;
- University of São Paulo’s Association of Friends of the Vis Moot;
- American Chamber of Commerce (Amcham-SP);
- Brazilian Bar Association (OAB-SP);
- British Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Brazil (Britcham);
- Deutsch-Brazilian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (AHK);
- LCIA Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG);
- World Service Group (WSG); e
- Young Arbitrators’ Forum da CCI.
- Commentary to the ruling of the Brazilian Superior Court of Justice in a matter of enforcement of a foreign arbitral award in the Journal of Arbitration and Mediation (Revista de Arbitragem e Mediação) No 22/2009.
- Article “Annullement. Arbitral Award. Extra Petita. Lack of Grounds. Citra Petita”, published in the April/May/June 2010 edition of the Brazilian Arbitration Review.
- Article “Arbitration versus choice of forum” co-authorship with Pedro Maciel, published in the January/2010 edition of “Public Company” (Capital Aberto) Magazine.
- Chapter in the “Arbitration World – third edition/2010” co-authorship with Pedro Maciel.
- Article “Advantages and risks of the two-step arbitration clause” co-authorship with Pedro Maciel, published in the July/2010 edition of “Public Company (Capital Aberto)” Magazine.
- Chapter “Denegação de Justiça”, published in the especial edition of the Brazilian Arbitration Review.
- Review about of book “L’applicabilité et l´impact de la Convention des Nations Unies sur les Contrats de Vente Internationale de Marchandises au Brésil” by Iacyr de Aguilar Vieira, published in the 2011 edition of the Journal of Arbitration and Mediation (Revista de Arbitragem e Mediação).
- Chapter “Application of the CISG by the Arbitrator” in the book “International Arbitration – UNIDROIT, CISG and Brazilian Law”.
Master’s Degree in International Commercial Law (2007)
Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne University
Postgraduate Degree in Business (MBA) (2006)
Getúlio Vargas Foundation
Law Degree (2003)
Pontifical Catholic University of São Paulo
Portuguese, English and French.